The Longdown Lodge Estate was formed in 1954 when planning consent was given for 147 properties on land which was originally part of Longdown Lodge.
The Estate comprises of the following roads.
These were the first new properties to be built in Sandhurst since the second World War and were completed in only 2 years by Lewood Limited as demand for the properties was high. Here is the estate, under construction in 1955.
A further application was then made to continue the development from Spring Woods towards Crowthorne but was refused.
Here you will find a copy of Lewood Limited's original brochure describing the properties. Bungalow prices in 1954 were only £2300 and houses were £2787.
The Wellington Bungalow
Under the Bracknell Forest Council Supplementary Planning documentation the estate, referred to as Greenways, is defined as a Character Area as described in the Core Strategy Policy, Chapter 2, Sandhurst Study Area. http://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/chapter-2-sandhurst-study-area.pdf
The Study observes that the character of Sandhurst is formed of separate housing estates, which are of varying quality and character. A number of the estates are distinct in both character and quality of which ours was listed.
Within the study the Longdown Lodge Estate is covered within Area C. This area is described as being of distinctive character, cohesive in terms of architecture, material and landscape that in turn creates a strong and positive development.
It states the estate is based on a simple rectangular loop of streets with cul-de-sacs extending from the corners. These predominately linear streets are lined either side by a consistent form of development.
The study provides a series of recommendations for retaining the character of this estate shown below.
Please contact members of the committee via the form on the Useful Information page.
We have a facebook page